It has been just over a month since I started my no-buy and I have been pretty successful. My whole goal was to use up what I have and save money. In the last month I’ve found that I have been not only really appreciating the collection I have, but also just using more products in general. I’ve made my way trough quite a few moisturizers and I’ve hit pan on a few things as well!
Let’s begin with the empties and some mini reviews of each!
I managed to get through a serious amount of moisturizer. It’s still very dry in Toronto and my skin is really feeling it.
- I used probably my fifth bottle of Cerave PM face moisturizer. This stuff is awesome. It has great moisturizing properties but it also has skin communicating ingredients. I use this during the day as well – my skin hates Cerave AM for some reason.
- I bought the Cerave Lotion for my face but it was too heavy so I ended up using it for body and it was great. It doesn’t have a scent, it’s just a really good moisturizer with similar great ingredients to Cerave PM.
- The Garnier body intensive in cocoa butter smells amazing and does a good job, except I find it really just sits on top of the skin and I can feel it wash off in the shower. I bought it at Dollarama so no harm done, and I would buy it again just for the scent!
- Bath and Body Works in Orange Saphire, bought at the semi annual sale.. Probably a couple years ago… Yeah so this really just needed to be used and tossed. The smell is really nice but this isn’t available to buy anymore.
- Philosophy peppermint stick hand cream, if you like sweet peppermint for Christmas time this is perfect. It’s an OK hand cream but it just smells so good.
- Bioderma Micelle Solution is, in my opinion, the best makeup remover ever. There are some great dupes out there now for much cheaper prices, but this still reins over all as the queen of removers. I’ve been through about 7 of these but I’ve now moved on to the Simple Micelle solution.
- Kirkland makeup wipes – if you’re spending ten dollars a pack for 30 wipes I honestly think you’re crazy. If you have a Costco membership and you don’t buy these then you’re even more crazy. If you don’t have a membership then find someone and go with them. These have similar ingredients to all the popular makeup wipes so why spend more? You get a huge box for under $15. I’ve been using these for years now.
- Nip and Fab dark circle fix. I honestly saw no change while using this consistently for months. It also had a sticky residue while it dried and felt pretty weird… I finished it and wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve moved on to the Burt’s Bees Royal jelly eye cream which was in my March monthly favourites!
- Origins Clear Improvement charcoal mask. I know it seems like there is more in there, but I literally squeezed every last drop out. I don’t know if this is just me, but I have a hard time seeing results from masks. I see people rave about feeling so detoxed and clear after and I honestly just don’t see it. Yes I feel clean after using it, but my skin also feels dry and tight. Is it really working? I hope so. Maybe. Who even knows. If it is, it isn’t instant and I don’t have the proof. I’m sure I’ll repurchase this or something similar because I feel the need to use a mask.
- I finished a whole NYC Bronzer in Sunny. This bronzer is matte and like $3. It is great for paler skin tones and really comparable to Benfit Hoola. It tends to break up at the end and gets a little hard to use, but it takes a longggg time to get to the pan anyways.
- Travel size Anastasia Brow gel. Solid brow gel, I actually find it a little too wet when it’s new. I liked it more towards the end when it dried out a tiny bit. Maybe that’s just me. I find it holds my brows in place better than anything else.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara. I think I’ve been through about 6 of these since November. This is my favourite mascara and I don’t see that changing any time soon. I do find it dries out faster than normal and gets pretty gunky (the eye drop trick doesn’t work either). I’m willing to look passed that though because it’s such a good mascara.
- Live Clean Keratin oil shampoo, my favourite ever. This stuff is amazing and smells SO good. It is the perfect balance of cleansing and moisturizing and leaves my hair happy. This was my fourth bottle and I have two more stocked up ready to go.
- Garnier Damage Eraser Butter makes my hair feel like silk and it’s only like $4. This was my third tub and I use it pretty generously so I go through it quickly. I really feel the difference if I don’t use it. I highly recommend it. I of course will be buying another one.
- Tresemme Fresh Start dry shampoo. I picked this up because I was in a rush and couldn’t get Batiste. I really did not like this stuf. I felt like it contained no product and really took so much to actually get desired results… Not worth it at all. No Bueno!
My no-buy is going well and I have hit pan on a few things! Here they are:
MUFE Mat Bronze. I have had this for a while and I’m so close to finishing it! It will literally never end. It is the bronzer that keeps on giving.
Benefit Hoola. Again, this magic little box is bottomless and I just can’t finish it. I’m trying so hard. It’s pretty amazing.
Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Dollface. I see more and more pan every day and it’s very exciting. I love this blush for a very natural flushed look.
Mac Studio Fix powder. For very light makeup days, this powder has great coverage. I just find it can look cakey on me. I prefer a more dewy look, but I am getting through this and finally hit pan.
So these are all the empties I have so far, and the makeup products I’m very close to finishing. It’s really exciting to see progress being made on this no-buy! If you are on a no-buy I would love to hear about your progress!